Saturday, October 11, 2008

The dreaded electric bill

I cut my electric bill alot of different ways.
The first was the thermostat. I moved it up more than a couple of notches. If I think its too hot to stay in the house, I go outside. I use the ceiling fans, and I have one box fan in the house. At night, or mornings like this morning, I open the doors, open a few windows and let the fresh air in. We didn't have air conditioning when I was a kid, so this wasn't completely foreign to me.

I started washing all my laundry in cold water also. I haven't noticed a difference vs hot or warm water. I only do full loads. I dont wash just one or two things. This dropped the amount of laundry I do tremendously. If I wear house clothes for just a few hours, I wear them again instead of throwing them in the laundry basket since they aren't really dirty.

I use the toaster oven instead of the big oven when I can. I dont think I have used my big oven in months. I grill out alot more.

I hang some of my clothes to dry instead of putting them in the dryer. Things like tank tops, and some things I dry only half way through the cycle like shorts, pants, etc. I do break out the clothes iron for about an hour a week, but its cheaper than using the dryer.

I keep the lights off in the house as much as I can. I use candles in the living room at night now, and I love it.

My electric bill has dropped from about $230 a month to about $180 and should be lower this week.

No comments: