Sunday, September 28, 2008

Brand Name vs. Store Brand

I was surprised when I learned that most store branded items are made by the same companies that make popular brands.

I learned this during my younger years and worked in a convenience store. I noticed that when the Wonder Bread man arrived, he also brought our store brand bread that sold for a much cheaper price. I ask him why he brought it and he explained to me that they made it, they just put a different wrapper on the bread. Hmmm, so why should I pay the higher price for the same bread? I didn't make that mistake again.

Ralston makes alot of store branded products. I always remembered them as Ralston/Purina and Im not sure why the names are no longer used together unless they separate them so that pet food isn't associated with people food. Ralston also just aquired Post brands from what I understand, so that makes me wonder if Post will now be producing our store branded items.

My doctor gave me a lesson on store branded over the counter medicines. He told me simply to read the active ingredients listed on the box and if the percentages were the same, don't pay the higher price. The same theory as generic prescription drugs. I have never had a problem, or noticed a difference in the products performance.

The biggest reason for the difference is cost is the amount of money spent on advertising. I have never seen a store take out magazine articles or produce televison commercials to promote their products, but National Brands do, which is paid for by the higher cost of their products at the check out counter.

Of course there are exceptions to every rule, and not all products are made with the same quality that National Brands are. But for the savings, I will take the chance to at least try them and make up my own mind since I dont feel every product in my home has to be a national brand.

No comments: